[SI-LIST] Re: Flip Chip Solder Ball inductance

  • From: Albert Ruehli <ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:06:45 -0400

Hi Steve
I agree with your assessment.  There is no replacement for learning the
basics.  A
tool or technique can lead to wrong results if it is not well understood.
After a while
we develop a good understanding on how accurate the results are.   PEEC
inductance
models can be very valuable and they give accurate results provided that
they are used
properly.   As you say, one of the dangers is the inaccurate evaluation of
the partial
inductances especially for closely spaced conductor.   I don't recommend
using the
Grover approximate equations for closely spaced conductors.   However,
they are
useful for approximate calculations for people who do not have access to a
better
tool.  Again, approximations can be very insightful.
Regards,
Al
Albert Ruehli
ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx
914-945-1592  TL  862-1592, Fax  914-945-4244

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/23/2005 03:24 PM
Please respond to
weirsi

Albert Ruehli/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, mike_bihan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx, "Raymond Y. Chen" <chen@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: Flip Chip Solder Ball inductance

Albert, I guess whether one considers partial inductance useful, or
dangerous depends on what one's goals are.  Used properly, partial
inductance can provide insights while saving a lot of redundant
calculations.  Used improperly, partial inductance concepts lead to
grossly
wrong conclusions.
To my thinking, we start with the entire loop(s) and then break these down

with appropriate coupling coefficients.  Then we can assign the
convenience
of partial inductances to various path segments.  What I don't recommend
anyone is the notion of starting with a partial inductance of a segment
and
attempting to apply that within a path that is either not similar to, or
unknown with respect to the one that the partial inductance value was
derived from.

Regards,

Steve.

//www.freelists.org/archives/si-list