[SI-LIST] Re: Fibre channel interconnect margins

  • From: David Instone <dave.instone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:50:22 +0100

Because it makes for a nice simple clean definition.  However, I believe
you have to take the real world into consideration.  Allowing the RJ to
be really unbounded means that each edge in a bit stream could be
advanced or delayed by an infinite amount.  Taken to extremes this means
that  the order of  edges  could be reversed.  This is obviously absurd,
the measured time between edges can reduce until it is zero, it cannot
go negative.  The time between edges can of course go to +ve infinity,
but that isn't a bit error, the system has failed or been switched off.

steve weir wrote:
> RJ really is unbounded by definition.
>
> Steve.
> At 09:46 AM 7/3/2006, Steven Kan wrote:
>
>>> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:48:56 -0700
>>> From: Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx
>>> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Fibre channel interconnect margins
>>>
>>> In fact, I think that companies DO ship products that toss a random
>>> error approximately every 10e-xx or so. Why? Because the statistical
>>> theory behind those errors is that random/Gaussian noise is, by
>>> definition, unbounded - errors are a fact of life, even if the error
>>> rate is very low.
>>>
>> I suppose we're way off in the weeds, here, but is the noise actually
>> unbounded? Or does it just behave in a Gaussian-like manner within the realm
>> of times/rates that matter for shipping product? I suppose if I sat in my
>> chair for long enough, a truly unbounded system might cause a gold bar to
>> pop into existence on my desk, but my empirical GBR (gold-bar rate) is
>> currently 0.

Dave Instone
Oxford Semiconductor Ltd
25 Milton Park