[SI-LIST] Re: Ferrite bead question

  • From: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:19:21 -0700

Lee,
After reading the responses and giving some more thought to this, I
agree that in some situations the use of ferrite beads can be detrimental.
In the design I am currently working on, the ferrite beads are used
mostly on low speed I/O signals and DC power to ICs that are not running
at very high speeds.
The highest speed part is a 100 MHz PCI Express clock buffer, and the
manufacturer does recommend to use a ferrite bead.
While I agree your statements have some merit, I find it problematic
that you seem to be saying ferrite beads only work by luck.
Certainly there must be situations in which they can predictably be used
to reduce noise.

Regards - Joel

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: