[SI-LIST] Re: Errata list for High-Speed Digital System Design: A Handbook of Interconnect Theory and Design Practices

  • From: John Barnes <jrbarnes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John.D.Phillips@xxxxxxx, si list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:49:31 -0500

John,
The equations on page 81 of High-Speed Digital System Design, by Stephen
H. Hall, Garrett W. Hall, and James A. McCall (John Wiley & Sons, New
York, 2000) match up with the equations on page 156 of Foundations for
Microwave Engineering, Second Edition, by Robert E. Collin
(Mc-Graw-Hill, New York, 1992).  They do not appear in the first edition
of Collin's book, which I also have in my library.

Some electronics books give three or four variants of the same basic
equation or parts/material properties in different chapters and
appendices--which I find very confusing. So I write books and design
documents bass-ackwards.  After researching the basics of a topic, I'll
write the appendices to document the equations, parts/materials
properties, and other information that I expect to use throughout the
document.  Then I'll write the body of the document.  Finally, I finish
up by writing the introduction and preface.  Thus, by using the
reference material from the appendices, I can be sure of being
consistent throughout the entire document...  Or at least as consistent
as one person can be in a project that consumes thousands of hours.

My first book, Electronic System Design: Interference and Noise Control
Techniques (now out of print), took me about 3,500 hours work spread out
over 4 years.

My second and third books, Robust Electronic Design Reference Book,
Volumes 1 and 2 (coming out in late March, Kluwer Academic Publishers,
   http://www.wkap.nl/prod/b/1-4020-7739-4   ) consumed some 4,200 hours
of my time in 2003 alone.

                John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, ESDC Eng, SM IEEE
                dBi Corporation
                http://www.dbicorporation.com/

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org