[SI-LIST] Electroless Ni-Au Plating impact on microstrip losses

  • From: "Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:11:46 -0700

Dear Scott,

Clyde Coombs' "Printed Circuit Handbook", 5th ed., section 32.4 incorporates
a good summary of the "Electroless Nickel / Immersion Gold" (ENIG) process,
plus several other related processes.  He quotes the typical layer
thicknesses, but does not mention high-frequency losses.  His book,
regarding ordinary pure Nickel plating, was the source of data I used in the
following overview article. The article is not a technical study, but does
describe the nature of the lossy effect:

"Nickel-Plated Traces", (2002) http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/5_6.htm

The immersion Gold platings added on top of Nickel are (according to Clyde)
so thin (much less than a skin depth at multi-gHz) than they have no bearing
on the losses -- it's as if you had an ordinary Nickel-plated trace as in my
2002 article.

Yuri Shlepnev has done a lot of work with boundary-layer field simulations
and may have more information on this topic.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0505,  howie03@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sigcon.com -- High-Speed Digital Design seminars, publications and films