[SI-LIST] Re: Effects of overshoot/undershoot on long-term reliability

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <matusov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:00:13 -0600

I agree with all the previous comments about fixing this and/or finding
the exact overshoot spec. for the part in question.=20

But --- how careful were you with probing techniques when taking these
measurements? FET probes (or even better differential probes) are the
best since the ground is immediately adjacent to the signal. If you have
to use a standard probe then fashioning a custom short ground lead is
recommended. Doug Smith's _High Frequency Measurements_ is the best
reference here, Johnson/Graham _High Speed Digital Design_ also has good
advice. You can get a FET probe for ~$600 last time I checked. The probe
needs to be calibrated to the scope as well!

                                        Curt

Curt McNamara. P.E.=20
Senior Electrical Engineer=20
Logic Product Development=20
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401=20
Tel 612-436-5178=20
Fax 612-672-0443=20
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
www.logicpd.com=20
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.