[SI-LIST] Re: ESD simulations

  • From: Srivats Partha <vats123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: starsilic@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:35:28 -0800 (PST)

Hello ppl
I feel hspice wll not allow you to simulate the ESD compliance of a I/O pad.The
reason being HSPICE will not simulate a MOSFET beyond the saturation region.
Using HSPICE only the linear and saturation regions of a MOSFET can be
simulated. But to verify the ESD complaince     MOSFET characteristics beyond
saturation in break down and snap back needs to be studied. The lateral PNP BJT
formed after the MOSFET breakdown needs to be studied. I am not sure if there
is a method to study this unless yu do the simulations with a MOSFET and a PNP
transistor connected. You may also have to model the  current source which
depicts the Avalanche characteristics.  Thats how we are looking to study the
ESD characteristics in our lab. I hope my explanation is on the right track.
Else you might have to use simulators which study MOSFET behavior in the high
current , voltage region. I wud very interested to know if there are other
methods to do this.
cheers
srivats

--