[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MikonCons@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:59:44 -0800

Mike, if you would be so kind as to indulge me here, I would like further
details on the sort of situation that justified BC for ESD control.  Can
you cite ballpark numbers where absent BC, the plane impedance was too high
and a destructive event was only correctable by pulling the impedance down
with BC?

Regards,

Steve.
>Your comment:
>If it is indeed what you said below that BC only improves the margin on a
>properly stackup PCB. I would suggest a better margin can be achieve even
>without
>BC by simply removing your oh so proud isolated chassis ring and have direct
>tight connection between chassis and logic reference on PCB.
>********
>My prior comment:
>Perhaps the explanation I offered was not explicit enough for you. The "50-60
>different designs" I referred to had ESD susceptibilities and yes, some of
>them were not well layed out to start with; however, even well designed
>boards
>improved their margins of susceptibility using BC construction. (NOTE: The
>"well layed out" boards were improved by the use of BC With or WITHOUT
>chassis
>ground rings.)
>********

List FAQ wiki page is located at: