[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

Julian and all,

Yes, it is a communications problem but as an observation, it has nothing
to do
with ESD, though.  Its just the "indirect subject" of the real matter at hand.

To me, this looks like a "sectarian" issue, a bit of indiscretion in
action, and the resultant
larger public reactions to it. On the whole, it is a petty thing and
doesn't have much value for
us. From my observation, the whole matter seems based on a personal issue
that needs to
be dealt with appropriately by the individual party(ies) involved.  Its
really not something for
us on the SI-LIST to participate in nor should we be made parties to such a
thing.

I say that to say this...

We should always offer professional courtesy to those we disagree with.  We
should
not indulge in taking "shots" at those we disagree with even if its in an
indirect way.
Such actions tend to distract from why we are all here on the SI-LIST and
why you
are now trying to get us back on a better "focus point".

So, we should remember the old saying that "we'd better be ready to receive
what
we deal out to others".  For those who need that in said in a less
philosophical way...
when we demean others even in private, disrespect comes to all and we all
are disgraced by it.
There is a lot of wisdom in this. Our physician friends know this well and
avoid demeaning
their colleagues. Let's follow their example.

One last thing... its a sad day on the SI-LIST when we gladly dismiss those
colleagues who leave the list who've had enough of that sort of
behavior.  This is an
embarrassment to us all. One has to ask themselves whether this personal
issue has
grown outside its original bounds and how long the SI-LIST can exist by
permitting
its propagation.

Let's all do our part and take care of this appropriately at our own
personal level and
get on with the good reasons why we are here.

Regards,

Michael E. Vrbanac

At 11:05 AM 3/5/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I suspect we are dealing with a communication problem here. Most everyone
>understands that there are high frequency components in ESD events. There
>are plenty of real world experiences to help illustrate that (spark gap
>radios, relay noise, spark plug noise in car radios, etc).
>
>But knowing Lee's background as a fix it/prevent it kind of guy, I think
>what he meant to say is that ESD damage can be prevented by treating ESD as
>if it were a low frequency event.  The high frequency components are there,
>but you probably don't need to waste your time worrying about them.  As
>others have hinted, they either don't have the energy required to do much
>damage, and/or, they dissipate or find their way to ground with out the need
>for human intervention.
>
>Maybe this is were the discussion should focus (if there is any further
>discussion).
>
>Am I correct, Lee?
>

>Julian Ferry
>High Speed Engineering Manager