[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'schumach@xxxxxx'" <schumach@xxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:05:40 -0500

I suspect we are dealing with a communication problem here. Most everyone
understands that there are high frequency components in ESD events. There
are plenty of real world experiences to help illustrate that (spark gap
radios, relay noise, spark plug noise in car radios, etc).

But knowing Lee's background as a fix it/prevent it kind of guy, I think
what he meant to say is that ESD damage can be prevented by treating ESD as
if it were a low frequency event.  The high frequency components are there,
but you probably don't need to waste your time worrying about them.  As
others have hinted, they either don't have the energy required to do much
damage, and/or, they dissipate or find their way to ground with out the need
for human intervention.

Maybe this is were the discussion should focus (if there is any further
discussion).

Am I correct, Lee?

Julian Ferry
High Speed Engineering Manager