[SI-LIST] Re: EMI simulation tools at PCB level

  • From: Ron Matthews <rmatthews@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx, Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Charles Grasso ' <cgrassosprint1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:09:17 -0500

The problem with tools like SQ and HyperLynx is that they assume a perfect
return path and perfect power delivery. There is the SQ Power Integrity
tool, but the last time I looked, it was completely decoupled from
Cadence's high-speed design flow. In other words, you can look at the
effect of the stack-up and decoupling capacitors on the switching noise in
the power/ground planes, but you can't include these effects directly into
your SI analysis. Further, the last time I looked, SQPI could not deal with
arbitrary plane shapes (e.g. splits, cut-outs, etc.) I know that Sigrity's
tools can integrate all of these effects (as well as other 3D effects that
come to bear on SI) into their SI simulations in one integrated flow. But
their tool uses a true 3D field solver, so it's a little more difficult to
learn to use than HyperLynx.

I don't think we're ever going to get to a point where we have one tool
that does it all. For phenomena like EMI and the effects of very high-speed
signals on SI, we still need to have the human, with sound fundamental
engineering skills, firmly set in the design flow.

Just my humble opinion.

Ron Matthews
Principal MTS
Signal Integrity/EMI