[SI-LIST] Re: EMC Analysis

  • From: "Hassan O. Ali" <hassan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:34:13 -0500

Nobody knows :-)

Seriously, for EMC purposes, the electric (E) field radiation levels are
measured in the
far-field e.g. at a distance of 10 meters from the radiation source. If you
have two (or
more) electromagnetic field radiation sources, the sum of their radiated
E-field at a
far-field point is a spacial and temporal vector sum which depends on many
things.

For example, if the two radiation sources have orthogonal radiation patterns
e.g. the
point of maximum radiation of one source lies along the x-axis and the other
along the y-
axis, if the far-field point where you measure the E-field is along the x-axis,
the
total measured E-field will probably be just the maximum E-field of the first
source
(certainly not the linear sum of the two maxima).

You also mentioned "system level" - and I'm sure you know that all systems are
not
created equal! A system can have other factors that affect field interactions
making it
so difficult to determine the best way to aggregate radiated E-field from
multiple
sources. A printed circuit board with many nets, operating at various
frequencies, is a
very complex radiation system by itself. When you have many of those boards,
say in a
shelf, you've compounded the problem even more. That's why I said at the
beginning,
nobody would know how to sum the radiated fields unless you're very specific on
many
things.

In the 90's there were many tools that were claiming that they could predict
radiated
emission levels from printed circuit boards. Those tools failed primarily
because of the
prediction complexity that I've mentioned above.

Best regards.

Hassan.

On Mar 13, Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Hello Everybody,
>
>  I have one very basic question about EMC Analysis. If we have 2 nets in
> design, CLK1
and CLK2, both switching at 200 MHz. If we see Electro-Magnetic radiation of
100 dB from
CLK1 and 105 dB radiation from CLK2, what will be the EMI radiation level at
System
level? Thanks in Advance!

>  Best Regards,
>  Darshan Mehta