[SI-LIST] Re: EMC

  • From: Chris Landrum x311 <clandrum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx'" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:16:17 -0500

Ground filling is useful to create inner layer capacitance for the power
sub-system of the PCB.  By filling GND on a signal layer that is directly
adjacent to a PWR plane a capacitor will be created.  This capacitor is
often times MUCH more effective at providing energy to components because it
is far less inductive than a normal leaded or chip capacitor.

EMI can be caused by an improperly designed power sub-system.  What can
happen here is current gradients can be formed in the PWR/GND planes that
can effectively cause radiation assuming there is an antenna nearby.  Also
of concern is VCC and GND bounce.  The plane capacitors formed can help
avoid this problem.

By ensuring that the chips are getting the proper energy such that VCC and
GND bounce do not occur, you are thereby reducing the probability that EMI
problems can be caused by the power sub-system.