[SI-LIST] Re: Do you ever measure any of the things you model?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:03:22 -0700

But I always thought SPICE models are perfect, aren't they?
So if I can match the SPICE model with my IBIS model, I
should be able to go home happily, shouldn't I?

When I worked for the world's largest semiconductor company,
I often started by making an IBIS model from SPICE models, and
when it turned out that they were garbage, because the SPICE
models were garbage, we started to tweak the I-V and V-t curves
by all kinds of methods.  So we often had IBIS models which were
more accurate to measured behavior than the SPICE models the
designer used.  Go figure...

I know this may raise a burst of flame and mud slinging (as it
has in the past), but I think there are times when behavioral
modeling can have advantages over full transistor modeling.
This example is just one of those cases...

Arpad
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] =
=3D
On
Behalf Of Tom Dagostino
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 2:54 PM
To: 'Schumacher, Richard (HSTD Signal Integrity)'; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard

We measured one Quellan device for the model and used a different device =
=3D
for
the system test.  When we measure a device we vary it's temperature and
supply voltage over the datasheet's operating limits.  We usually do not =
=3D
get
process corner sample but if we did we would have used the strong fast
corner at the cold high voltage operating point and the slow weak corner =
=3D
at
the hot low voltage point for a CMOS device.  This would have given a
complete process/temperature/voltage model. =3D20

But what we have seen from much experience is the IV and VT curves of =
=3D
the
random devices we get are very consistent from part to part of the same
manufacturing process. When I say part to part we are including both the
different die of the same part number and different part numbers from =
=3D
the
same process. We see stronger effects from temperature and voltage than =
=3D
we
see from process variation.

Regards