[SI-LIST] Re: Do you ever measure any of the things you model?

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lance Wang" <lwang@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:05:20 -0700

How appropriated that this thread comes out at the 10th year anniversary =
of me shipping both HSPICE and behavioral models to customers that has =
SSO, packaging and a whole lot of bells and whistles effects modeled. =
Not only they correlated to each other, they even correlate to lab =
measurements too, under SSO condition. I personally worked with at least =
two of the largest SI tool houses at that time to make sure they work. =
And amazingly this is from the same company Arpad was bad mouthing. It =
reminds me of this old Chinese saying,"one kind of rice can raise =
hundred kinds of different men". So goes employees within the same =
company. It really matters what corner of the building your office is =
located. Or geographic location for that matter.
And how ironic that Lee raise that EE time article about SSO noise =
problems in packages in 2004 in the PDS discussion. Let me say again =
2004, four years ago. If you dig up that article, people were whining =
about SSO problems. And the vendor was saying........surprise, =
surprise......"we give out IBIS models to our customers for =
verification"...... Ok, where is the SSO model then ? Where is the SSO =
model now ?
I am beyond arguing about HSPICE or IBIS is better and why. We've done =
too many times and wasted too many opportunities to get it right =
already. I am just asking who is ready to give something, ANYTHING, that =
will even address the basic problem we all face everyday.
I see this IBIS vs. SPICE has a huge collateral damage....bad designs =
that did not get checked and have poor SI performance. This unintended =
consequence came from the fact that while we are hot headedly screaming =
why SPICE is more accurate or IBIS is faster and just as good, we let =
the supplier of the models get away with the lowest possible =
denominator...IBIS 3.2 or below simple model that is useless to model a =
large segment of the highspeed buses, memory & FSB to name a few.
Ten years ago I have already demonstrated to my customer I can be =
neutral to behavioral or SPICE based models. If you want SPICE, we can =
give you models that correlates with lab measurements. If you want =
behavioral, we can give you models that correlates with lab measurements =
too. I DON'T CARE, I can make them both work. The fact that 90% of my =
customers want SPICE is another topic to discuss.

So, once again, we have the tool, we have the model specs.=20

WHERE IS THE MODEL ?