[SI-LIST] Re: Do you ever measure any of the things you model?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:32 -0400

Joel

Unless modeling compliance is directly tied to revenue, this situation
will not change.  I encourage all of my clients to tie device models to
their purchasing requirements for components.  A few companies do this.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Joel Brown wrote:
> It seems that the voluntary system of IBIS compliance is broken.
> Actually compliance is not the right word because we don't hold anybody
> accountable for distributing bad models.
> Not only that, some companies don't offer models on parts they should and
> sometimes it requires signing NDAs and waiting three months to get a model
> (that actually happened to me).
> There is no counterpart to IBIS in the PDN world and there should be because
> we can't guess at any accuracy what the on chip PDN and power spectrum are
> which really makes it difficult to "design" the board PDN.
> When we all have to comply with and pass regular ISO audits in our work
> environments, it seems that the equally important discipline of SI and PI
> have no such standards to live up to. While a completely voluntary system is
> desirable, it clearly is not working well. When will the industry wake up
> and do something about this?
> End of rant.
>
> Joel

List technical documents are available at: