[SI-LIST] Re: Displaying eye pattern in an oscilloscope?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ihsan Erdin <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:52:14 -0700

Ishan, what is the motivation for needing to know which memory device?  We
have the controller sending data to store, and memory issuing read data
back to the controller.  At one end of the bus or the other we want to know
whether the timing margins are adequate for each type of transaction.  I
don't see a reason to care what read timing looks like except at the
controller, or what write timing looks like except at the memories.   I see
visibility limited more by the physical accessibility than by anything else.
An eye is a way of getting information that embodies the various jitter
sources.  An eye diagram can still be constructed by the method you suggest
by controlling the data patterns.  Running DDR2, one might be well advised
to determine if either the channel, or the PDS induce substantial ISI.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: