[SI-LIST] Re: Displacement vs conduction current Q & A from D r Archambeault

  • From: Sitar Moniker <si_monkey2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gstokes@xxxxxxxxx, "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for setting up the stage for what it takes to discuss this thread. In
particular, I liked your statement:
"For full understanding it is necessary to talk about electric field and
displacement, and the relation to charge flow and magnetic field."

Sorry, this is not what I asked for.  Dr. Archambeault addressed what I asked
for. But, can we say that unconditionally? If Yes, end of discussion. If No,
under what conditions:

1. Displacement return current = conduction signal current ?
2. Above two currents flow at same speed ?

John Philips

Geoff Stokes <gstokes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just a fundamental point, if you will excuse me, addressing Sitar's
questions, which need to be answered properly for a deeper understanding of
electromagnetic theory or SI practice which is an application. Dr.
Archambeault has answered the practical side of this question, but which can
be answered more fundamentally. Dr. Archambeault's entertaining
introduction on the RMCEMC site is really *excellent* and encapsulates some
important guiding principles:

http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r5/denver/rockymountainemc/archive/2004/Sep/Maxwell.
pdf

In this he makes a point about "messy math". I believe the maths becomes
messy if you let it, but is essential to the understanding. =20

This answer is partly in the conservation of charge, divJ equals
-d(rho)/d(t) (I mean partial derivative everywhere in this discussion) where
J is the conduction current intensity (sometimes less helpfully called
"current density") and rho is the charge density. This means that where
static charge is not accumulated (the normal case in highly conductive
media), divJ must be zero. (The maths is crucial and incomplete in my
description here.) If divJ is zero everywhere, then the volume integral of
divJ inside a closed surface is zero and a current intensity integrated over
that surface is zero. The integration represents total current across the
surface. That closed surface could contain just a single connection point
node. Hence with accuracy for DC and low frequency applications, we then
have Kirchoff's Law of current, stating that the sum of currents into a node
must be algebraically zero. These currents are real currents involving flow
of charge on a conductor. For less conductive media, such as a dielectric
printed circuit board, and varying currents, divJ is non-zero. In fact we
say divJ' is zero where J' is the total current intensity, including both
conduction current J and "displacement current" dD/dt (partial derivative).

The debate on displacement current has raged for a century. According to
Bleaney and Bleaney, Maxwell introduced it to make the wave equations fit
the truth, perhaps an honourable reason, and a truth which seems to apply
for a wide range of conditions including non-ionizing radiation (DC to 300
GHz). If div(total current intensity) is zero everywhere, then again total
current into a finite volume is zero - hence the current in a via is the
same as the current on the track which feeds it and is the same as the
current passing through the capacitor connected to the track (provided
nothing else is connected to those nodes). *However*, there is a
displacement current in the surrounding dielectric, so again, the conduction
current gives an incomplete picture: there is a conduction current gathering
effect, so there appears to be a conduction current loss on the conductors.
This loss could be relatively large or small, depending on the material
properties, dimensions and frequency. An extreme example is a radiating
wire antenna, where the input conduction current decays along the wire
finally coming to zero at the wire end. A PCB also radiates to some extent,
producing coupling between tracks, vias and components and other PCBs and
systems.

For full understanding it is necessary to talk about electric field and
displacement, and the relation to charge flow and magnetic field. The idea
of Displacement field was introduced to account for polarization of a
dielectric - a sort of polarization intensity. Otherwise Displacement field
is directly proportional to electric field except in "funny" materials like
lithium niobate or titanium dielectrics (chip capacitors). In MKS or
Standard International (SI) units, the electric field E does not equal D in
a vacuum. That's just an accident. Displacement current is defined as
dD/dt. Taken together, J and dD/dt are equal to curlH according to Ampere's
Law, which is needed together with the laws of Faraday and Lenz (curlE
equals -dB/dt) to consider the complete electromagnetic wave and its
interaction with conduction current.

Sitar, I wonder if this is what you asked for.

Please excuse me if I have wasted anyone's time.

All best wishes
______________________________________________=20

Geoff Stokes
Systems Engineer, Signal Management Group

Zetex plc=20
Lansdowne Road, Chadderton, Oldham, OL9 9TY,=A0 UK=20
Tel direct:=A0 +44-161-622-4857=A0=A0 Switchboard: +44-161-622-4444
Fax:=A0 +44-161-622-4469=20
http://www.zetex.com=20
e-mail:=A0 gstokes@xxxxxxxxx=20

Email Alternate: chasgrasso@xxxxxxxx =20
=20
=20

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: =20
=20

Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world

http://www.zetex.com

E-MAILS are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that
the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they=20
have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
omitted in connection with this communication.
If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: