[SI-LIST] Re: Differential Pair Characteristic Impedance Tradeoffs

  • From: "Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mbowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:38:03 -0500

Melvin--
It is possible to meet all your requirements if you make the traces
wider than 5 mils.  This means your dielectric height would have to get
larger too (to keep your single-ended impedance), but then you have more
flexibility to move the 90-ohm diff. traces closer together than the
100-ohm diff. traces, which lets you have both differential impedances
with the same single-ended impedance.  Basically it moves everything
further away and keeps you from having to violate your minimum 5-mil
spacing restriction.

If that is not an option, I would note (as others have) that with most
differential signals, the differential impedance is more important.

--Pat

Patrick Carrier
Technical Marketing Engineer
Hyperlynx/High Speed Design