[SI-LIST] Re: Diff line

  • From: pikeda@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:09:04 -0800

Scott, I agree with everything you said and would like to add that loss due to
skin effect will increase since the extra capacitance in the lines will tend to
squeeze the flow towards the inside edges. Fabrizio, Pravin, if the multigig
lines are that dense that you can't avoid tightly coupled lines than I would
suggest matching lengths near transitions such as at the via, bga or connector.
After all if you look at an untuned vias, they generally look capacitive or dip
in impedance. The seperated line is higher in impedance. So if the risetime is
long compared to those two structures that are next to each other, than the
impedance should actually look more flat. For 2.5GHz I estimate that the 2
structures should be less than 300 mils (very rough estimate). Another tip if
EMI is not too much of a concern such as for well referenced stripline, is to
match some distance away from the driver where the losses have slowed down the
risetime and the mismatch in impedance will have less of an impact.

No alternative solution is without a downside for certain circumstances or it
wouldn't be an alternative, it would just be the only solution.

Paul

"zanella, fabrizio" <zanella_fabrizio@xxxxxxx> on 02/14/2002 06:39:44 PM

Please respond to zanella_fabrizio@xxxxxxx

To:   Paul Ikeda/Marvell@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:

Subject:  [SI-LIST] Re: Diff line

Paul, a large percentage of nets on pc boards are now differential.
By using 20 mil spacing for your loosely coupled differential pairs, I don't
see how you can route high density boards without using 20-30 layers, which
increases cost, creates manufacturability problems, increases via
capacitance, etc.  The trend is to pack more and more routes in a given
space.  5 mil lines with 5 mil spacing, edge coupled on stripline layers is
quite common for differential pairs and works very well for 2.5Gbs signals.
For the differential skew value, make sure you look at the entire path,
through the BGA, connectors, vias, etc, the total lenghts may be closer than
300 mils.

Regards,
Fabrizio Zanella
Signal Integrity