[SI-LIST] Re: Developing High Speed Routing Rules

  • From: "Salkow, Steven" <steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Wilbur.Harvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:43:29 -0700

There are always more issue about cost than you can shake a stick at. (Model
library integrity is one such issue.) Doing a "what if" by simulation will
get you to design goals. I agree with Jon Powell, nothing is as good as SI
on the completed board. That said, distilling rules for the router is
probably, by itself,  not definitive enough. The PCB designer needs feedback
to get it right. Hence, the PCB  designer gets this from you or has SI tools
for this purpose. SI is a long term investment. If doing a lot of it and
your to become an expert, then its worth the time effort and $.
Alternatively, a good idea of the layout arrived at by simulations to derive
board requirements followed by one or two prototype build may be quicker for
a company that does not have the dollars and the time to invest in SI
methods.

Technologically, those that do not have SI tools may never know the extent
of their design margins and possibly will not be able to arrive at complex
high-speed designs on their own. A recent example was a design where the
FPGA had an unexpectedly fast rise/fall times hence should have had some
form of output termination but this was overlooked in the actual first
article because traces were less that 4.5 inches. With spins of the artwork
maybe approaching $4000 to 10,000 depending on complexity, SI can pay for
itself within 4 projects. When you consider , however, a mistake found later
in production after even a 100 units are already manufactured, the cost of
SI looks very small.

Steven Salkow
Lockheed Martin
3200 Zanker Rd