[SI-LIST] Re: Designing PCB Stackups

  • From: istvan Novak <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: codymiller@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:22:17 -0500

Cody,

Things have been changing considerably due to the fact that most people
nowadays use high-speed SerDes
links on their boards.  And certainly the situation may vary dependent
on which corner of the
world you are doing business in.  My understanding is that if
high-frequency performance matters to you,
the choice of available laminates may and will vary from fabricator to
fabricator...

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

codymiller@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a general question regarding PCB stackup design. I am evaluating
> how we design our pcb stackups in our group now and I would like to put
> a procedure together or a set of rules of thumb to properly design a
> stackup. I would like the procedure to ask all the right questions up
> front.
>
> One question that came up is do PCB designers typically design with
> vendor specific materials in mind or do they design with generic prepreg
> and core materials. I see some pros and cons to both. What is typical in
> the industry.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated as well as if you know of any
> papers/resources on the web that could be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Cody

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net