[SI-LIST] Re: Design rules for estimating crosstalk

  • From: "Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gwmaichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gwmaichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "andersson.pehr@xxxxxxxxx" <andersson.pehr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:10:37 +0000

Hi Pehr--
I agree with Wolfgang that you are usually best off using a field solver, but
rules of thumb can be useful too, as long as you understand the assumptions and
limitations used to create them.

For instance, FEXT in stripline is not always zero.  That only occurs if you
have a homogenous dielectric.  Even in a symmetrical stripline, one dielectric
will be a core and the other a prepreg, so there will be some difference in the
dielectric constants.  This effect is most dramatic on a dual stripline, which
usually consists of two smaller dielectrics  and a large dielectric between
them.  Since dielectric constant tends to increase with larger dielectric
heights, the effect of that difference in dielectric constants (the dielectric
between the trace and reference plane, and the dielectric on the other side of
the trace) will lead to noticeable FEXT in stripline.  Of course, the most
nonhomogeneous dielectric setup is microstrip, which is a mixture of a
dielectric and air, which in turn creates the greatest amount of FEXT.  It has
to do with the relative amounts of inductive and capacitive crosstalk.

Another rule of thumb is spacing things out according to trace width.  Really,
you should be concerned about the height of the trace above the reference
plane.  Fields drop off proportionally to the distance of the trace above the
reference plane, so spacing rules should be something like 3H as opposed to 3W.
 In the case of a 50-ohm line (as Wolfgang also points out) these two
parameters track each other pretty well, but it is really the height (H) that
you should be concerned about.

I have a presentation which explains both of the concepts above in greater
detail, and with pictures.  It also goes into specific details on differential
crosstalk, which was the subject of your original inquiry.
Take a look if you are interested:
http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/multimedia/crosstalk-fundamentals-webinar

--Pat