[SI-LIST] Re: Design rules for estimating crosstalk

  • From: John Ellis <John.Ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "andersson.pehr@xxxxxxxxx" <andersson.pehr@xxxxxxxxx>, "Wolfgang.Maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <Wolfgang.Maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:00:08 +0000

Pehr,

You can find a description or the modal aspects of crosstalk in chapter 11 of
Eric Bogatin's book.

I always think of FEXT in terms of modes.  In a lossless microstrip, when you
put a pulse on one line next a quiet line, at the far end of the quiet line you
get a short negative going pulse.  This pulse is defined by the velocity
differences of the odd and even modes.  The first negative excursion represents
the arrival of the odd mode component.  This will continue to go negative until
the arrival of the even mode component when it will begin to go positive till
it returns to the 0 level.  The odd mode arrives earlier because there is more
air in the cross-section that the fields are exposed to; the even mode see less
air and consequently sees a higher effective dielectric constant.  Since all of
the modes in a lossless stripline see the same effective dielectric constant,
they all travel at the same velocity and arrive at the same time.

John Ellis
Principal Engineer

Mixed Signals &
I/O  Libraries Group