[SI-LIST] Re: Derating Value of Power ICs

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Sandhya I. M.'" <sandhya.im@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'SI-LIST'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:56:15 -0700

Power supplies are one of those exceptions where derating is rarely useful.
In general, a power supply should be sized to run at about 80% to 90% of
capacity at peak load.  Absent special circumstances, there is little to no
benefit in running at a small fraction of supply capability.  You mentioned
power ICs in the subject line and power supplies in your text.  These are
not quite the same thing.  Note that in the case of linear regulator ICs,
derating works as well as for any other linear IC, and using them at a
fraction of capacity is ordinary practice, often to simplify thermal
management.

Orin Laney