[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling of Oscillator

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:22:39 EST

In a message dated 11/25/2002 3:07:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> When multiple chips source a
> clock. Should a ferrite be added on ALL Vcc pins??
>
> This could be very crowded when the source is a
> BGA.

Charles:

I'm a bit confused by your question. I can envision a single clock source
with one or multiple outputs, or a single clock with multiple, different PLL
clock outputs at different frequencies, or a multiple-output clock driver
buffer chip. Nevertheless, if you have a BGA-packaged clock driver with
multiple outputs and multiple Vcc inputs, that is a good candidate for a
moated, Vcc island with local decoupling capacitors, fed by a single
PI-filter. All BGA Vcc connections would be sourced from the Vcc island. One
or more ground connection bridges under the outputs (depending on their
respective locations on the BGA) is appropriate. Are we in sych?

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting
Cell: (408)821-9843

                   *** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List archives are viewable at: