[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Joe Paul M" <joepaul@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:04:44 -0700

Joe, that is correct.

There are three basic ways that people bypass:  The big "V", "capacitors by
the decade", and fine multipole.  Each has different
trade-offs.  "Capacitors by the decade" pretty much suffers the limitations
of both of the other two methods without any of the advantages.

Larry Smith and company came up with the fine multipole approach as a way
of achieving two goals:  1) reducing the total number of capacitors needed
for very low impedance networks, and 2) decreasing the Q of the
network.  If you need a really, really low and constant bypass network
impedance it is a method worth considering.  But I consider it optimal only
for special cases such as a chip that needs insanely low PDS impedance out
to what I feel are unreasonably high frequencies for practical PCB
implementations.  But that is apparently a problem that Larry and his
colleagues have been forced to solve and they came up with that creative
and for the circumstances, effective solution.  A typical network would
have ten to a dozen different capacitor values in quantities ranging from
just one each of the largest capacitance values to hundreds of the
smallest.  When one doesn't need hundreds of capacitors to hit the high
frequency target, fewer total capacitor values get used, and pass band
ripple goes up, and relative ESR goes down, progressively removing the
advantages it seeks over the big "V".

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: