[SI-LIST] Decoupling capacitor range required - PI Analysis

Hi,

            In many papers and books I am seeing that the impedance has
to be maintained across the frequency of interest, which one I have to
take as my interested one is it KNEE frequency or is there any other
formula specifically for PI.

            In the
"Power_Distribution_Networks_with_On-Chip_Decoupling_Capacitors" book
chapter six, summary it is mentioned as follows

            "In order to ensure correct and reliable operation of an IC,
the impedance of the power distribution system should be maintained
below the target impedance in the frequency range from DC to the maximum
operating frequency"

            With this is it enough to keep the impedance constant
(maintained at the Z target) up to 600MHz for a core voltage which is
supplying a core operating at 600MHz.

In the book by Istvan Novak "Power Distribution Network Design
Methodologies" chapter 7 FDTIM method section 7.4 explains the need for
on chip decaps and other important elements of the PDS which supports
the target impedance, but in the tabulation at page 124 uses only up to
10pF capacitor whose resonance Frequency is 50.4MHz, is it given in a
way assuming that after this the impedance will be met with the help of
the on chip package and Die capacitance.

Please clarify this. Thanks all for helping me in this PI topic.

Thanks & Regards

Lakshminarayanan.S

9840250902

DISCLAIMER:

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
Any views or opinions presented in
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any mail and

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: