[SI-LIST] Re: DecapPlacement

  • From: "Jim Whitehead" <jim.whitehead@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:05:21 -0400

A-Men!  My biggest problem (usually) has been how to find real-estate
for all of those caps on  BOTH sides of the board.  The stackup would
help here, too.  In general, the highest/fastest A/C current source
planes should be placed closer to the side of the board (top or bottom)
for the consuming IC in question; board thickness and via aspect ratio
come into play here and make this more or less effective.  If you keep
in mind the name of the game is to minimize the apparent mounting
inductance and spreading inductance from the source (plane, decoupling
caps, device package); intuition breeds concept, calculation/simulation
breeds success.

If you don't have it already, there is a very good book out there that
explains this in great detail.  It also shows how to use common tools
like Excel to get started in the design of your power sub system.  Be
cognizant of parallel resonance effects due to any internal board
capacitance (IBC) layers (and caps neighboring in freq) and you'll be
sure to get it "Right The First Time"!

Link to book =3D http://speedingedge.com/rtft_book.htm
(If it is inappropriate to "plug a book" in this forum, I apologize.
But trust me on this one; it is certainly worth the read)

Cheers,

Jim