[SI-LIST] Re: Dead Band in PLL

  • From: "Guo Yawei" <ywguo527@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:16:45 +0800

Chris,

Of course I admit there are many applications such as downstream PLL on
microprocessor, clock recovery circuit used in serdes, SONET, infiniband,
PCI-express, etc. PFD is constructed using dynamic FF's, and the overlapped
pulse is very small in those high speed application.

Maybe I didn't show my opinion clearly enough. My main point is that the
static phase error is zero if mismatch and offset are negligible
(Monolithic Phase-Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuits, theory and
design, by Bezhad Razavi, IEEE Press, 1996, page 29). So for charge pump
PLL, where the VCO control voltage settles doesn't matter the phase error
theoretically.

Furthermore, I don't understand the term zero charge phase point that you
use. Could you explain it for me?

Maybe the example of 400ps pulse is not good. I respect your experience in
PLL design. However, I think it is not harmful when designing frequency
synthesizer with low frequency reference clock. Do you agree with me?

Best regards,
Yawei Guo

<chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Dead Band in PLL
>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:47:20 -0800
>
>I really don't know what to say, the PLL I worked on even in early 90's
have
>pulses less than 400ps. And while your claim of xtals from several to
dozen
>MHz may describe the very first stage of a clock distribution tree in a
>system, there are many more PLLs down stream locking to a much much higher
>speed reference clock. Just ask any designer working on DDR II, GDDR3 or
>zero delay fan out buffers for clock distribution.
>I also claim it is easy to predict where the zero charge phase point is
for
>a charge pump given a known VCO operating point. We can simulate and
measure
>it all the time.
>May be techniques to analyze PLL performance and designing phase detector
>pulses smaller than 400ps are core competencies of some of the companies I
>work for/with but rest assure they are here and well understood.
>Unfortunately, you will probably have to work for those companies to learn
>it. Good luck in finding one in your country. It is indeed fun to work on
>PLLs.

VCO
> >at
> > >the desire frequency to be close to what the charge pump wants to stay
> >when
> > >both up and down pulse are on during zero phase error. Phase error
>around
> > >10ps is not uncommon. This is usually acceptable to most large ASIC
> >designs
> > >since the clock tree balance tolerance is worst than that anyways.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: