[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 clock failing radiation Tests

I would first suspect one or more of these:

1. Lots of DDR data signals using mixed PCB references.  And/Or
2. Inadequate bypass of the PCB for the signal routing used. And/Or
3. Poor power integrity on the VDDQ to the ASIC.
4. Poor power integrity on the VDDQ of the memories.

If you want to solve your problem in a timely matter, buy some time from
an EMC expert.

Steve.

On 1/6/2012 11:08 PM, vinod ah wrote:
> Hi,
> There is an 27MHz crystal oscillator on left portion of the ASIC, 12MHz
> crystal oscillator on bottom portion of the ASIC, while the DDR3 controller
> in on the right and top portion of the ASIC. There is no metallic
> structures like heat sink.
>
> Regards
> Vinod A H
>
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Antonis Orphanou<
> aorphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> Are there oscillators/crystals near by that can couple to metalic
>> structures such as a heatsink or an asic lid? The frequency is rather low
>> to be inherent to an asic size resonance.
>>

>> Sent from Samsung tablet
>> vinod ah<ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>> To nail down the issue, i had used magnetic near field probes to find out
>> where the radiation is maximum on the board. To my surprise, when i keep
>> the near field probe on top of processor/ASIC, the radiation is at its peak
>> when compared to keeping near field probes on top of traces or memory ic's.
>> In fact the radiation level is 30dB more on top of processor !!!!. So can
>> we conclude something based on this observations?
>>
>> Regarding the clock routing, the clock lines are routed in daisy chain
>> fashion to 2 memories and have a thevenin termination of 47 ohms i.e. 47
>> ohms pulled up to VTT.  Since the ASIC is having high density BGA package,
>> the clock likes are routed to the bottom and then taken to inner layer and
>> then to top layer where it is terminated to VTT. There is solid ground
>> planes on layer 2 and layer 5 (6 layer stack up used). Near by ground vias
>> are present but not very near due to layout constraints and board size
>> constraints.
>>
>> Regards
>> Vinod A H
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Doug Smith<doug@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vinod,
>>>
>>> It is no surprise that the simulation did not show anything. Did you
>> model
>>> the system enclosure with all its cavity resonances as well as slots,
>>> seams, and all the cables as well? I think it is nearly impossible to
>>> simulate the complete system to predict radiation. I view simulations as
>>> way to evaluate simple structures to understand how emissions occur and
>>> then use that knowledge in combination with factors that are not easy to
>>> simulate to estimate emissions.
>>>
>>> It takes so little energy extracted from a signal to cause an emissions
>>> problem it is quite possible to have great looking waveforms and still
>> have
>>> an emissions problem. I do an experiment in one of my seminars where the
>>> waveform at the end of the structure looks really good, but the structure
>>> fails emissions by something like 40 dB! For instance, is the risetime
>> of a
>>> clock just slightly slower than one would expect? Where did that high
> [...]

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: