[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 2-slot design preference...

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:58:50 -0400

Jory
If the entire structure  via/trace/cavity is short w.r.t. the knee
frequency of the edge, then you are correct.  But, lets run the numbers.

Common DDR2 controller signal edge rate = 500 ps.
Corner knee frequency = 700 MHz
One wavelength in FR4 (@170ps/in) = 8.4 inches

To create a 700 MHz resonant cavity you need to have a structure that is
1/2 the wave length on at least one dimension.  A 4" x 4" square section
works just nicely, and could easily be the fill area from a memory
controller to the memory module.  Thus, creation of a resonant cavity is
pretty darn easy.  If we're silly enough to forget  to stitch the planes
between the controller and the module (and yes, I've seen this quite a
few times) then you have a very nice high-Q resonant circuit.

The next question is whether the cavity can be excited.  Well, the
electrical length of the exciting structure (via) has nothing to do with
whether or not full-wave excitation occurs.  We merely need to couple
energy into the cavity.   For example, in the optical EM spectrum, a pin
hole works quite nicely.  Or drill one hole in a Faraday shielded room
and see if any RF energy leaves the room.  So the answer is, yes, we can
couple energy into the full-wave structure.  It's just a matter of
magnitude.

As for your thought question, if there is no discontinuity, there can be
no mode conversion, and resonance is not an option.   But, in a real
design, there is a discontinuity when the trace transitions down into a
via, and then again when the via transitions to a power/ground
stripline.  How you get the energy to turn those two corners dictates
how much energy will be coupled between the planes.  With a 40 ps edge,
you have signal spectrum out to 10 GHz.  How fast you switch the data
will determine the magnitude, won't it?  Approximately 32% of the signal
energy is concentrated at the 1st harmonic, 10% at the 3rd, 6% at the
5th,  4% at the 7th, 3% at the 9th  ... and so on.  A ddr driver
switches with an average of 20 mA of current into a 50 ohm transmission
line.  So as long as we have not reached the knee frequency, we still
have significant common mode currents that can be coupled into
cavities.  Even at the 9th harmonic you will see about 500 uA of current.

With a 40 ps single-ended edge with a 800 Mbps data rate, we have
harmonic energy at 400 MHz, 1.2 GHz, 2 GHz, 2.8 GHz, 3.6 GHz ... etc.
Of course, if the data is random, you'll excite a whole range of
frequencies down to DC.  So, at 3.6 GHz we have 500 uA of current
available for coupling per signal.  Lets assume that at this frequency
only 10% of the energy couples into a power/ground cavity. Lets also
assume that at 3.6 GHz the impedance of the power distribution network
is 5 ohms. With a 10% (-20 dB) coupling ratio, we couple 50 uA of
current per signal into the cavity.  This in turn creates 250 uV of
noise.  Hey, that doesn't seem bad at all.  Now transition 128  signals
across the boundary and you've just placed 60 mV of 3.6 GHz noise into a
place were it rattles around.  Now do the same thing for the entire
spectral content of the signal, and it's quite easy to find
noise/crosstalk peaks in the 100 mV to 1 Volt range.

Do the same thing with a GND/Signal/GND cavity, with appropriate
stitching vias, and you don't have to worry.

Do the same with well deskewed differential signals and common mode
energy will be reduced by at least 10% (-20 dB).

scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Jory McKinley wrote:
> Hello Scott,
> But do we get the full wave (harmonics of) effect of the signal if the
> entire structure (via/trace/cavity) is electrically short compared to
> the edge rates we are passing through regardless of the data pattern
> of the signal?  I would say no since any energy injected by the signal
> up to the 5th harmonic would not excite the structure above by
> definition.  This may be a somewhat unrealistic case today however not
> so some years back......
>
> Back to reality.......As mentioned it seems to me today that a well
> contained signal path may not be enough to fully contain the energy
> generated.  The problem I see today is that not only are the edge
> rates blazing but the fact that full wave physics have to be applied
> at all discontinuities (vias/connectors/pkg) along the path in order
> to get a complete picture of signal energy.   These discontinuities
> can couple energy into cavities or other structures which should be
> understood.
>
> Basic question:  Assume you are tasked with getting information from
> one point to another on just one lane of traffic.  You are given a
> very simple PWR-SIG-GND stackup and given zero discontinuities (assume
> perfectly matched package/conn to signal trace) along the path from
> drvr to rcvr.  The only other requirement is that the trace has to be
> 10" or longer and you are given only a 50ps edge rate driver.
> Impossible to screw up?
> -Jory

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net