[SI-LIST] Re: DC power Analysis/Current Density

  • From: Jeff Walden <jwalden@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:51:36 -0400

Because COMSOL was mentioned I feel that I should comment that CST has an
inexpensive static thermal solver. I have used it in conjunction for DC
current versus temperature rise analysis of power connectors as well as a
few RF power applications ... terminations, attenuators, etc. Once you have
empirical data such as contact resistance in the case of DC current it is
intuitive and runs fast.
3D thermal results are graphically dramatic and identifies the the
locations with the highest temperatures. The thought of pulling in an
entire power plane is a little bewildering tho, but CST has bought up some
other solver solutions that are not within my "current" interests. I used
to use PCB Studio prior to CST's purchase and wonder if integration may
have added thermal co-simulation. Hmmm ... ..

My only affiliation with CST is as a customer. For what it is worth, I am
certain that similar software solutions lie within Ansys having been an
equally intense user of HFSS & other Ansys products over the years.

--
Jeffrey L Walden

EMC/SI RF analysis and product development
jwalden@xxxxxxxx
(866)547-5365

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: