[SI-LIST] Re: DC power Analysis/Current Density

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "balaseven@xxxxxxxxx" <balaseven@xxxxxxxxx>, "Reams, Bill" <bill.reams@xxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:26:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Bala,
I like many here have done extensive DC (as well as AC) power analysis on many
boards and packages.  You should combine your DC simulation results with the
allowed current density from the IPC2152 spec.  You will have different current
densities depending on layer/copper thickness and geometry (shape of current
through metal bends/holes).  You can use your DC current density coloration
feature on each layer to find hot spots.  Contact me if you would like further
details.
Regards,
-Jory