[SI-LIST] Re: DC power Analysis/Current Density

  • From: Arjun Bingipur <Arjun.Bingipur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:02:59 +0100

Hi Pat,
I've been performing some PI / Thermal co-simulations using HyperLynx on
one of our high current designs. But, from my experience so far with the
simulation results, it is not that straight forward to accurately assess
the thresholds. I believe a lot more insight is needed to collaborate the
simulation data accurately. I'm still waiting on thermal imaging data from
lab to determine how close / far we are from simulation.

Regards,

Arjun Bingipur
Senior PCB Design Engineer
Electronics & Instrumentation

Yazaki Europe Ltd - Hemel Hempstead
United Kingdom

Tel:      +44(0) 1442 839543
Email:  arjun.bingipur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/04/2012 14:58
Please respond to
Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx

"balaseven@xxxxxxxxx" <balaseven@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: DC power Analysis/Current Density

Hi Bala--
The relationship between current density and temperature rise is a
complicated one that has a number of "it depends" types of factors, most
notably how an area of high current density is connected to the rest of
the plane.  That will be one of the determining factors in how the heat
will dissipate from that area.  It is best to do a PI/Thermal
co-simulation simulation to assess this accurately.  Even IPC-2152, the
new current/thermal specification, advocates simulation as a means to
solving this problem.

The following webinar will probably be of interest to you:
http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/multimedia/don-t-let-integrated-circuit-power-demands-heat-up-your-board

--Pat