[SI-LIST] Re: Current capacity of a Solder Ball

  • From: "Ozgur Misman" <omism@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:35:40 -0700

Hi All,
I certainly agree with some of the authors  that the current carrying
capability of a solderball can not be solely determined by considering the
solderball as a seperate entity.
The current capacity could mainly be influenced by the quality and the
metallurgy of the Solderball/ soderballpad interface.
My  question would be  whether the ball falls off before it melts?
By the way, I have not come across any technical paper on this issue,
although I have been looking for it for some time.
If anybody has any reference that points out to measured data. PLease
forward a copy to me , I would be very interested.
Regards,
Ozgur Misman

Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx@freelists.org on 02/05/2003 02:39:48 PM

Please respond to Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx

Sent by:    si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx, mchan@xxxxxxxxxxx, BSchieck@xxxxxxxxxx,
       si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:

Subject:    [SI-LIST] Re: Current capacity of a Solder Ball

Steve,
Let's assume that all your numbers are correct.  I had the same conclusion
several years ago at a previous company.  We both missed the main point of
Pat's email:  You need to re-think what the limiting factor is.  It's not
immediately obvious.

Aubrey Sparkman
Signal Integrity
Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx