[SI-LIST] Re: Current capacity of a Solder Ball

  • From: "Matt Kaufmann" <mkaufmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:00:35 -0800

Brian,

if you're talking about flipchip bumps, the current capacity per bump is
limited by electromigration of the thin stackup of metal layers between the
solder bump and the die pad (UBM=Under Bump Metallization).  Different
bumping technologies use different UBM stackups and some are more
susceptible than others so it depends on who is doing your bumping/UBM.

Bascially, the issue is that under HTOL conditions, the current combined
with the temperature will promote electromigration/consumption of the UBM
materials.  If they get consumed, the bump will open.  It also depends on
the size of the bump/UBM pad.

The following factors play into this: junction temp during HTOL testing, UBM
size, life expectancy goal (MTTF).  Bump solder type can also play a role.

K&S (Flipchip Technologies) has a bunch of data that gives max allowable
current capacity per bump as a function of Tj (in order to meet 10,000hr
MTTF).  Depending on the bump pad UBM size, the current capacity can range
from 45mA to 120mA (at Tj=150C) and higher if Tj is lower.  This data is
available on the the K&S web site
(http://www.kns.com/prodserv/flipchip/pdf/design-gde/foc.pdf).

Note: this data is only applicable to the K&S bumping process.  It does not
apply to other bumping processes since they typically use different UBM
systems - although the K&S UBM tends to be on low end of electromigration
resistance - not bad but just less resistant than other UBM systems (K&S or
others may respectfully disagree).

Regards,

Matt

Matt Kaufmann
Principal Engineer - IC Assembly and Packaging Development
Broadcom Corporation
2451 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95054
408-922-3183(desk)/408-464-9354(cell/pager)/408-922-1023(fax)
mkaufmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx