[SI-LIST] Re: Current Return Vias

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:03:54 -0700

Steve,

"I reiterate that I cannot think of a
case where one stitch via associated with one signal could make the
difference between acceptable and unacceptable S parameter
results.  Either a pattern of vias is needed to make the difference,
( sic launch ) or none at all."

That sounds "digital"! I see it more as a continuum. A launch or
controlled impedance via may have 4-8 ground vias per signal. The XFP
MSA recommends a two ground vias per diff pair configuration for 10Gbps.
For 250 MHz DDR we have found 8 signal vias to a ground via works fine.
Previous generation FPGA pinouts forced a fanout that had 20-30 signal
vias to a ground via that made it a challenge to run 125 MHz DDR due to
excessive crosstalk.

It seems to me that with no ground vias, even when you may see
acceptable through S-parameters one can have unacceptable levels of
crosstalk.

Thanks,
Vinu

List FAQ wiki page is located at: