[SI-LIST] Re: Convergence problem after inserting detailed connector model

  • From: "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:10:16 -0800

To echo Raymond (forgive the questions from the matrix-impaired):

Scott,

If I have an 8-port S-parameter measurement (S11, S28, etc.), from a
Touchstone or CITI file for example, would the given equation apply to
the complex data or just to eh magnitudes?

More specifically, taking the equation literally, my eigenvalues are
calculated as:

Identity matrix (8x8) - Smatrix * Smatrix'

Where Smatrix is an 8x8 matrix of complex S-parameter values, Smatrix'
is its transpose, and the identity matrix is just that, an 8x8 matrix
filled with zeros on the off-diagonals and ones on the diagonals.  Is it
still correct to say that a complex result from that calculation, if
having a negative real part, indicates non-passivity?

More specifically still, I get an 8x8 matrix result of "eigenvalues"
from your equation.  However, if I request eigenvalues from Matlab using
the same 8x8 Smatrix, I get a result which is 8x1 only.  Why the
difference?

Thanks!

- MM