[SI-LIST] Re: Conductor loss reduction at High Frequency

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tbiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:54:16 -0700

Tom,

1. Yes, there are papers out there from the 1999 or 2000 and if I recall
correctly someone either tried to, or did patent opposing smooth side
surfaces for signal/return.  I would have to dig around for the references.

2. The big issues with M/S surface layer impedance is the variability in
the final plated thickness and the solder mask.

2b. The loss is heavily influenced by the SM chemistry and application.

3. EMI issues from microstrip are often greatly overstated.  The big
offenders on a PCB are:  the cavity edges, and the components radiating
above the PCB surface. Doug Smith has some good information on these
types of subjects.  Lee is passionate about his practical experience
with M/S and no significant EMI issues.

4. Cross talk is or isn't an issue provided you can live with a lower
density.

5. To the best of my knowledge tarnishing on M/S top surface is not a
significant factor to any SI issues.

Regards,

Steve.
Tom Biggs wrote:
> There are three things mentioned in this thread that caught my interest:
>
> 1. trace/trace core versus trace/power core
>
> Assume that you have two layers around a core. I assume that the side of
> a trace next to the center of the core is rougher than the side on the
> outside of the core.
>
> Given a nonsymmetrical stripline, more of the current is going to travel
> on the side of the trace closest to the nearest ground/power plane.=20
> --------power
> --  trace
> --  trace
> --------power
>
> If the core is between the trace layers, then the side of the trace
> closest to the power plane will be smooth. If the core is between
> trace/power layers, then this side of the trace is going to be rough.
> You would expect lower loss in the trace/trace core case. True?
>
> 2. Surface layers
> It was mentioned that with microstrip surface layers that your
> impendence is not as well controlled, presumably because the surface
> layer is a foil layer so its distance to the next plane layer is not
> well controlled, since it is determined by the final press of all
> layers, and can vary from build to build.
>
> But, if you use surface layers, you can widen your trace by using more
> prepreg layers, giving you:
> 1. Lower loss (at least for short lengths)
> 2. It is easier to control the trace thickness and height within a
> certain # of mils if the trace is thicker and higher, so if the trace is
> thick enough it should be easy to control its impendence, even on an
> outer layer. E.g. 12 mils +/- 1 mil has a much tighter impendence
> control than 3 mils +/- 1 mil.
> I'm not sure if this is enough to compensate for the poor height
> control.=20
> And on the downside:
> 3. More EMI=20
> 4. More crosstalk (for a given spacing of traces).
>
> 3. Tarnishing
> How does tarnishing affect the signal?=20
>
>    -tom

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: