[SI-LIST] Re: Circle bus topology; Circular Firing Squad?

  • From: "Ihsan Erdin" <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "olaney@xxxxxxxx" <olaney@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 06:08:48 -0400

Orin,

My answers follow in-line.

Regards,

Ihsan

On 8/2/07, olaney@xxxxxxxx <olaney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ihsan:
>
> Yours was a disappointing answer.  The use of the term "action at a
> distance" was a specific reference to a quote in a previous email.  For the
> *3rd* time: "As discussed in Lesson 2, some forces result from contact
> interactions (normal, frictional, tensional, and applied forces are examples
> of contact forces) and other forces are the result of action-at-a-distance
> interactions (gravitational, electrical, and magnetic forces)."
> http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/newtlaws/u2l4a.html
>  If you read the previous emails containing this, did you forget or not
> understand them?  There is no point in trying to have a discussion if your
> only memory is the last email.  Suffice to say, those who cling to a
> collision (contact interaction) model are using the wrong paradigm.  Yet,
> there are respondents who keep speaking of electrons colliding (which due to
> repulsion cannot happen at ordinary energies), and yes, even of billiard
> balls smacking into each other.

All I'm trying to tell is that action at a distance is one of the
fundamental principles of classical physics that gave birth to
Maxwell's equations in the 19th century. It is doing an excellent job
for our macro world but fails to explain some bizarre phenomena in the
micro cosmos. Modern physics helps here by bringing a new
interpretation to the field theory (or action at a distance as you
prefer to call it) with its "standard model." Everything: weak force,
strong force, gravity and EM force are explained by particles. When
you talk about electrons in the micro cosmos I was surprised to see
you can also make reference to the action at a distance with the EM
fields in mind. I'm sorry but this mix-and-match will not work in the
quantum world. If Maxwell's equations were successful in the subatomic
region there would be no need for QED.

> Second, your brief tour of 20th century physics is not a line of reasoning.
> You make several statements that amount to proof by assertion, which is
> really just a polite way of having a back and forth "Is too! - Is not!"
> argument.  The photoelectric effect lacks relevance here, but if it does,
> explain it.

The relevance of photoelectric effect... This is just to give a
historical background to the fact that EM energy is made up of photons
and that photoelectric effect is the first proof of this fact. In the
last two years of my subscription to this list I don't remember EM
energy has ever been mentioned in terms of its particle nature.
Considering the broad audience spectrum of this list, I think citing a
reference to dig deeper is a justifiable attempt to some  suspicious
minds.

It is not necessary to invoke QED to understand the phenomena
> under discussion, but if it is, explain it.

It was originally asked whether the wave-particle duality helps to
resolve the issue here. Answering this question without mentioning QED
is like solving the wave propagation on a transmission line without
referring to Maxwell's eq.s.

Do (you) really believe that the EM
> fields that we are dealing with on a transmission line require invoking a
> particle nature?  Or that photons don't pass through each other
> effortlessly?

Probably not. But I didn't jump in waving the QED flag right from the
start. Indeed, I had no intention of even mentioning it until the
wave-particle duality was raised and your explanations came in. I
simply raised my objections to some of your ideas and tried to explain
the problem as far as the particle nature of the EM force is
concerned.

I see your rhetorical arms waving in the general direction of
> physics beyond what is relevant or needed to competently deal with the waves
> under discussion.  This is mere obfuscation.

Let me rephrase what I said before: interference is not a well
understood phenomenon in the micro cosmos and using the particle
nature of the EM force wouldn't take us anywhere further than the EM
field theory would do. Is this statement clear enough to dispel the
confusion here?

> To contribute to this discussion, you need to speak to the kernel of the
> controversy.  First, the physics.  We started with two identical waves
> meeting from opposite directions on a uniform transmission line, but as soon
> as a variant in one wave was proposed as an identity tag, the fallback
> position was that the *difference* would continue around the loop, but that
> you still couldn't tell whether the identical portions rebounded or not.
> When asked why there should be any difference between the two cases, the
> response was more along the lines of "you still get the right answer", and
> to my ears, seemed mumbled.

I think in an earlier posting I made myself very clear that this is a
matter of perception and modeling. For an unbiased observer it doesn't
matter whether the waves are bouncing or passing through each other.
I've seen some very good postings that phrase this better than I did
and need to add no more.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: