[SI-LIST] Re: Circle bus topology; Circular Firing Squad?

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:20:23 -0700

Here is some ASCII art with "colored" waves. The LLL and RRR represent
portions of a T-line charged by a wavefront. <,> represent wavefronts
traveling in indicated direction.
Assume 50 ohm lines, 20mA current changes resulting in 1V wavefronts.

Incident waves of equal magnitude:
LLLLLLLLLLLL>   <RRRRRRRRRRR

Reflection model :
<LLLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRRRR>
LLLLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRRRRR

Wave propagation model:
<LLLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRRRR>
RRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLL

Unequal incident waves, left is 2V, 40mA, right is 20mA, 1V:
LLLLLLLLLLLL>
LLLLLLLLLLLL>   <RRRRRRRRRRR

Reflection model:
<LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL>
LLLLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRRRR>
LLLLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRRRRR

For the unequal wave reflection model above, at the point where the
wavefronts meet, no charge can flow (I=0) from the right wavefront to
the left T-line because the lines are charged to the same potential. I=0
means the right wavefront sees an open circuit and reflects. When this
point reaches 2V, the 40mA left incident wavefront can charge both the
T-lines with 20mA each, sending a 1V wavefront into the right T-line,
and a 1V reflected wavefront going back on the left T-line. So the left
incident wavefront can be described as having encountered a high
impedance (>50 ohm and <open circuit) whereby a 2V incident wave
produced a 1V reflected wave.

Wave propagation model:
<RRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLL>
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL>