[SI-LIST] Re: Career Advice for a junior EE

  • From: "Hassan O. Ali" <hassan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:15:54 -0500

One thing you should NOT do is to repeat the mistakes you've made
already. Staying in a company for 3 years with no real career
development is a big mistake. Looking for a job unsuccessfully for 2
years with the same skill-level is a mistake. Jumping into any other
company right now in disperation, with no potential for career
development will be another mistake.

I'd advise you to set out clearly what you want to be and strive for it.
For whatever you wish to be you must bear in mind that there are no
shortcuts.

Forget about getting employed as a PCB layout designer. Most companies
now contract out their PCB layout. I'd advise you to shoot for either an
SI Engineer or a Hardware Design Engineer position. Find employment
opportunities for those kinds of positions anywhere in the globe, even
with a low pay, as long as there is a potential for career development.

You must learn how to sell your skills. 3 years experience is not that
short - do not look for a "junior" position. You already have an SI and
SI tools experience - emphasize it in your resume. Your knowledge of PCB
layout and Schematic Capture is a plus - mention it too but not as your
core skill. Search through the archives of the SI-List to understand
core competencies expected of an SI Engineer and familiarize yourself
with them. Read books and ask experts for what you have difficulty
understanding. Speak with confidence next time you are called for an
interview. Confidence only comes with knowledge. Take courses if needed.
And again remember, there are no shortcuts!

All the best!

Hassan.

gsletch wrote:

>I have a question, not technical per se, but more career advice
>related.
>
>I am an unemployed EE(US Citizen) with about 3 years experience in the
>hard hit telecom/computer server industry. My first job out of school
>was mainly doing high speed digital PCB layout. On occasion, I did
>some simple schematic capture and I was trained in Cadence's signal
>integrity tools, but never got into it like I was promised...industry
>started to tank, environment changed, etc. Long story...anyway.
>
>Now to my question, how do engineers/managers view a "newbie" whose
>previous job was as a PCB Designer, but wants to get into more board
>level circuit design with less physical design other than supervising
>layout designers or doing some myself when needed? I feel that the PCB
>layout exp. was helpful, but not challenging enough; hence, the
>lateral career move.
>
>Am I looked down upon because I was a PCB Designer?
>
>Will there ever be an opportunity as a Hardware Engineer? The job
>market doesn't seem to want to open up for the junior level
>people...it is closing in on 2 years out of work for me....
>
>I have a BSEE with Graduate level courses in FPGA/ASIC design and
>(soon to be) board design. Do I have a chance or am I wasting my time?
>Opinions are welcomed....

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org