[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors arrays. worth it or not?

  • From: "Hill, John" <jhill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Larry Smith" <LSMITH@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Mark.Randol@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:29:47 -0400

Steve,

I am not so sure of this. In the MLCC there is a transmission line with
an end that is open. It is the open 1/4 wavelength transmission line
that provides the low impedance on the other side of the part.
Specifically, a 1/4 wavelength away from the open is a short.=20

In the IDC part the end is shorted, not open. There is a difference and
I am uncertain how to predict the resonance. That is why Larry's
viewpoint is important. It provided a better understand of the fields in
the parts and why the resonance occurs in the first place. I would like
to understand the IDC parts as well as we now understand the MLCC parts.

Can anyone explain to me the physics behind the IDC resonance as
compared to the MLCC resonance?=20

I would also like to know the Dielectric constant of the MLCC ceramic to
run the numbers and confirm the electrical length of the MLCC part. It
would be interesting to confirm the measured series resonance is truly
predicted by the 1/4 wavelength of the MLCC parts.

John