[SI-LIST] Capacitor Measurements to 10 GHz

  • From: "Tony Anthony" <tony@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:05:19 -0500

Hi All,

Larry Smith wrote in an earlier email to this list:
//www.freelists.org/archives/si-list/07-2001/msg00005.html
"The capacitor vendors could help me greatly by measuring the ESR and ESL of
their capacitors and
publishing the data. They could also help by designing capacitors that have the
absolute minimum
internal inductance. BTW, traditional measurement techniques do not obtain very
good values for ESR
and ESL. (Maybe that should be the topic of another email.)"

Larry makes very good points and I would like to address reducing internal
inductance and
measurement techniques for capacitors.

I have written to this list before about the X2Y capacitor, referring to it's
internal cancellation
of opposing mutual inductance and shielding of the electrodes parasitics. To
show the results of a
capacitor design that has the absolute minimum internal inductance, a microwave
test fixture was
recently developed to remove the inductive parasitics of the connection to the
DUT in order to
highlight the component characteristics only. I would like to submit these test
results to the SI
list for review.

The test fixture was specifically designed by ICM www.icmicrowave.com to
measure four-terminal
components. The fixture clamps the DUT using special terminal contacts and
midsections, embedded
probes are right at the component terminations. We are aware of published
papers that show other
types of four-terminal passive components (feedthru) tested on a small PCB
board. In the upcoming
weeks, we will do comparison testing of those devices in this fixture and
report the results.

Test fixture design details are at this link:
http://www.x2y.com/cube/x2y.nsf/(files)/ICMFixtureOverview.pdf/$FILE/ICMFixtureOverview.pdf

The test results are at this link:
http://www.x2y.com/cube/x2y.nsf/(files)/CompareICMData.pdf/$FILE/CompareICMData.pdf

1)The X2Y component shows measured effectiveness to 10GHz with nearly flat
attenuation from 3-10
GHz.

2)Devices measured ranged from 0603 to 1812, with varied capacitance values.
The 1812 device shows
nearly equal attenuation of the 0603 device at the 6GHz marker(34dB vs. 38dB).
At 10 GHz the 1812
surpasses the 0603 attenuation(30dB vs. 28dB). This shows the broadband
effectiveness of the
component. Upcoming measurements starting at 30kHz should show replacement of
bulk capacitance
combined with high frequency effectiveness. Manufacturers will generate ESR and
ESL on various
component sizes/values in the coming weeks.

I hope this test fixture and the data it will generate moves closer to the
accuracy that Larry and
others on this list require for their design tools.

Best Regards,

Tony Anthony
X2Y Attenuators, LLC
www.x2y.com