[SI-LIST] Re: Can a thin PCB trace be used as a reliable fuse

  • From: Steve Horne <sch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tilak.Gaitonde@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:03:45 -0500

This reminds me of something that happened in the mid 80's at a
medium sized semiconductor company I worked at.

Someone had this idea to protect input buffers on CMOS ICs from
ESD strikes using a series polysilicon fuse (a BJT/diode
breakdown on the far side of the fuse would provide the sink
current).  The thought was that the fuse would blow before the
gate oxide of the inptu buffer got damaged.  The flaw in the
reasoning (discovered after testing actual silicon) was that the
blown fuse rendered the IC inoperable.  Hmm....

Steve

Gaitonde, Tilak writes:
 > Hi Masters,
 >
 > This is really not an SI related query, but comes under electronics design.
 > My query is this. Can a thin PCB trace be used as a reliable fuse. I have a
 > real estate problem on my PCB & require 4 fuses with current threshold of
 > 6A. I searched for the components & found they too huge to use on the PCB.
 > So thought I can use trace as fuse!!
 > If it is possible is there any paper that has this explained?
 >
 > Please help.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Tilak

 > List FAQ wiki page is located at: