[SI-LIST] Re: Can L12 ever exceed L1 or L2 ??

  • From: Ihsan Erdin <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edward.k.chan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:51:32 -0500

Edward,
I must admit your example is challenging to the conventional reasoning. But
before getting to it, let's discuss the validity of the realizability
condition on the inductance matrix. By applying the positive definetness
test to the L matrix only you're reducing the transmission line equations to
dV/dz+jwLI=0. Here, I assume a wave propagation along the z-direction on a
lossless line. For (voltage and current) wave propagation on a line, we need
the second equation: dI/dz+jwCV=0. As such, the positive definetness test
must be applied to [0 jwL;jwC 0] matrix, with L and C being the submatrices
of the multiconductor transmission line system. I have neither time or
appetite to prove (or disprove) if L12>L11 is possible for this augmented
matrix under the condition that it's positive definite in the whole
frequency range. But I don't think that matters either because from your
argument I understand you are trying to find a freaky case where the usual
L12<L11 inequality could be broken.

So let's get to your example with the coils. I agree that the mutual
inductance will come out larger than the self inductance of the single turn
coil. But there seems to be a very clever "cheating" in that case. Because,
I can raise the counter-argument that the 2nd turn on the 2nd coil could be
very well taken as the 3rd conductor in the system. That reduces the case
L12+L13>L11, which is fair.

So, I'm still holding to the grounds that the mutual inductance could be
equal to the self at its best where the two conductors should occupy the
same place in space, which is a contradiction in itself. Thus, L12<L11
should hold no matter what...

Ihsan

On 10/30/05, Chan, Edward K <edward.k.chan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been thinking about this problem for a while too, and here's what I
> think I figured out:
>
> The requirement for an inductance matrix to be physical is that it is
> positive definite. Thus L11 * L22 - L12 * L12 > 0. This is similar to
> other equations described by others previously.
>
> Hence, it is possible that L12 is larger than the smaller of L11, L22.
>
> So what physical system exhibits this --> essentially transformers:
>
> Imagine two concentric coils with identical loop area placed infinitely
> close to each other. Then L12 is very close to L11 (and L22).=20
>
> Now we double the windings of the second coil. If we integrate the flux
> over the area of the first coil (single winding), we find that the flux
> from the second coil (two windings) is larger than the flux from itself
> (first coil with one winding). Therefore, L12 is larger than L11.
>
> Now, what structures on typical PCBs exhibit this behavior?
>
> Imagine a microstrip line over a ground plane has a certain L11 and L22.
> Now put a ground plane over this microstrip to create a stripline. With
> the top and bottom planes tied together at the near and far ends, we
> will get a 2x2 inductance matrix. When the signal trace is narrower
> (~<0.5X) than the ground planes, the additional ground plane will reduce
> the effective inductance of the ground plane such that it is less than
> the mutual inductance between the signal and ground.=20
>
> I haven't investigated all the conditions under which these observations
> are true, but I believe L12 can exceed L11 or L22.
>
> I have simulated the coils and the stripline in Fasthenry, and can
> provide the simple input decks to anyone interested.
>
> Edward Chan
> Intel

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: