[SI-LIST] Re: CLK Input not 3.3V tolerant

  • From: James_R_Jones@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ygagnon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:37:51 -0600

Yannick,

I think what you have done is reasonable.  From a sinusoidal steady state
standpoint, maximum power is delivered to the load when RS=R0=RL.  Under
this condition, ideally no reflections occur, and VL=VS/2.  It appears as
though you have achieved your desired attenuation by setting RL slightly
greater than R0. (RS-total source output resistance including term,
R0-characteristic impedance, RL-total load resistance including term.)

A consideration that may be an issue is the fact that you will deliver more
power to the load including RL.  This may not be the desired effect.  In
order to increase R, you could place an R divider at the receiver, using
larger values for resistance to get your attenuation without consuming as
much power.  This approach may be a little bit unorthodox as well.

You could also reduce your signal swing at the driver with an r divider.
You would have to increase your series term resistance and then tie its
output with a resistance to ground that would have a parallel combination of
R0 for matching.  This way the resistances are larger and may consume less
power.  Power is complicated at driver due to the reflections.  You can get
an idea of average power by inserting the appropriate I,V macro and
examining output.

I have never tried such things, and there may be a much more elegant
solution, but if you run these ideas in spice, you should be able to make
them work.  You could also try them out  with some careful soldering to your
prototype.

Good luck,
James J.