[SI-LIST] Re: Buried Capacitance thread comments (The whole thing)

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Scott McMorrow'" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:36:34 -0800

Scott old pal, this is neither a fight, non am I Irish.
You make some good reference on the imperfect nature of image
current return. Lets take a closer look.

As performance increases, people use different techniques to
address this issue. In the not so distant past, open drain (like GTL) or
emitter follower (like PECL or ECL) I/Os are used and they are by
design asymmetric I/O that only need a single reference plane for
current return to the driver (the other direction is being taken
cared by the decoupling at the terminator) In the case of GTL, all
the return path needs to reference is ground (Bill Gunning used
to joke with me saying "don't call this Gunning transceiver logic, call
it ground transceiver logic).  Similar argument for PECL or ECL
I/O's.
In lots of new high speed designs differential signals are use in
which they reference to themselves (in differential mode) and
asymmetrical reference to the terminating voltage (common mode).

From the above, asymmetric I/O is more popular than you think,
but we still have to address the push pull drivers. It turns out in
order to sustain the sharp edge rate even to come out of the
package, a lot of those I/O uses on die decoupling to support
the initial di/dt. As such they can (while "not desire" as you
like to say) take return current asymmetrically, either from the
ground or the i/o power through the on die decoupling.
Most likely they will take the ground path for the return.
As you mentioned, a lot of packages have to use microstrip
to route the signals out. However, the so call mode conversion
will happen at the die level through the on die decoupling such
that once it comes out of the die, only ground reference is
need for both transition image current to return. In that
situation, either case 1) or 3) in your description will
be just fine for the I/O. You can even project to case 2)
is ok provided the power plane is the I/O power and the
package reference planes is either power or sandwich
between power and ground.

What you didn't mention is what I consider case 2b)
where the reference power plane is not even the I/O
power e.g. the other power plane at a different level.
In this situation, your mode conversion or image
current return is broken. This is where people see
EMI noise or signal power/ground bounce. This is
when people bring in those EMI or SI consultants
where they start to sprinkle in those 100's of
pf decoupling caps or Zycon planes to provide
the low impedance path for the image current to
return. In my opinion, two wrongs doesn't equal
to one right. The problem should be solved by properly
referencing the signal return power/ground planes.

There is another case 1b) which the power plane
in the power/ground stripline is not the I/O power
but other power. In this case the image current
in the power plane has to return through the plane
capacitance between the power/ground planes.
Unfortunately, the spacing of the planes are
dictated by the impedance control of the striplines
and thin dielectric is just out of the question.

Finally, since you know me a little bit, you
should know that I used to have the luxury of 6
well trained engineers doing power analysis
for me on package resonance. All the plane
resonance, via location, decoupling, plane
discontinuity analysis are BTDT. And guess
what, the package resonance hardly goes
above 100MHz and you better believe I
have the best possible package design
available. Any other references you came
across are in the range of 10-40MHz.
I have mentioned this fact many, many
times in this group and those who have
done the same analysis have to agree with
me. Am I trying to say PCB plane don't
resonance? Absolutely not. Does resonance
matter above 100MHz ? Probably not.

I don't quote papers, I don't just say "you
are way off" without any reasons. I say what I
say because I've BTDT.