[SI-LIST] Re: [Bulk] Re: PCB Impedance Failure

  • From: "Dr. Edward P. Sayre" <esayre@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: erdinih@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:05:24 -0500

Folks:

Just another way to look at differential impedance.  Use the not so well
known exact formula:

Zdiff = (2*Zo)*(1-Kb)/1+Kb)

where: Zo is the uncoupled single ended trace impedance and Kb is the
backward coupling coefficient between the two coupled traces and (0 <= Kb
<= 1).  One sees that Zdiff is always <= 2*Zo

A similar formula form is also convenient for defining the common mode
impedance:

Zcm = (Zo/2)*(1+Kb)/1-Kb)

and Zcm is always >= Zo/2.

All the interaction between traces is embodied in the coupling
coefficient.  Real simple to think about, at least far simpler than even
and odd mode impedance ala the microwave theory route.

Thanks -

ed
=============================

At 01:10 PM 1/13/2006 -0500, Ihsan Erdin wrote:
>At the risk of deviating from the original topic, I'd like to make some
>comments on the calculation of differential impedance I've seen in this
>thread. I guess sqrt(L_mutual/C_mutual) is meant by the term "coupling
>impedance" but I doubt it has any meaningful value. The differential
>impedance can be found by decomposing the coupled transmission line circuit
>into its odd and even mode components and multiplying the odd-mode impedance
>by 2. That results in sqrt( 2*(L_self-L_mutual)/( 0.5*C_self +C_mutual) ).
>The formulation assumes the elements of the pair are identical.
>Regards.
>
>Ihsan
>

>On 1/12/06, Ken Cantrell <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> >
> > Ludwig,
> > Re: "I don't think anyone was claiming that one can achieve 100 Ohm
> > differential impedance using 50 Ohm SE traces."
> > I use 50 ohm SE, 100 ohm diff all the time.  Example: stripline, trace and
> > plane thicknesses 0.64 mils, permittivity 4.0, dielectric thicknesses 4
> > mils, trace width 3.25 mils, run the pair on 15 mil centers.  SE is 49.5,
> > Diff is 98.5.  If I get 97 - 100 ohm diff, things work great, and I'm sure
> > it could be looser than that and still work fine for standard LVDS type
> > implementations.  As someone else stated, this type of geometry (loosely
> > coupled spacing), although it yields a lower routing density, allows for a
> > smooth impedance transition in the pin field escape area since the
> > increased
> > trace separation has little effect on the diff impedance.
> > If you need to go to higher routing densities, then the SE impedance must
> > be
> > increased as you have pointed out.
> >
> > Clayton,
> > If the board house can't produce a good cupon, I would get a re-spin soley
> > on those grounds.  Be patient though, stuff happens.
> >
> > Ken

|        NORTH EAST SYSTEMS ASSOCIATES, INC.        |
|      "High Performance Engineering & Design"      |

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: